Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Menu 2009

Every year, my husband and I spend our New Year's Eve the same way. Our three kids go to the city to be with my parents and then we come home for our two-part tradition. We think and reflect about the past year and then document the most significant memories in a journal -- all done in between the courses of a gourmet New Year's Eve dinner.

So that I am free to write, talk and reminisce, I try to have most of the meal prepared ahead of time, much of it with friends. This preparation begins long before December and is in the back of my mind throughout the seasons. Each and every course is significant in how it is made, who it was made with and the season it was inspired by (or even made in). Below is my menu with significant notations.

My New Year's Eve Menu 2009

First Course
Shrimp Tempura Bites with a Spicy Soy Glaze -- This course was inspired by Nicholas (from his restaurant in New Jersey). I received his beautiful book from my in-laws and was excited to make something from it.)

Second Course
Lobster and Corn Empanadas with a Smoky Lime Dip -- These sweet and creamy bites of lobster and corn wrapped in puff pastry were made the same day I made dozens of empanadas with Lou and Christina. Lou was with me to taste test them before they got tucked in the freezer.

Third Course
Velvety Smooth Corn Soup with Chantarelle Mushrooms and Charred Corn Kernels -- The stock for this soup was made over the summer with a friend using only the sweetest and most delicious farm-fresh corn. After boiling the corn and cobs, I pureed the kernels and stock in my Vita Mix blender and then froze it for months to come.

Fourth Course that Never Happened
Lamb Bites with a Curry Sauce -- The fourth course was also inspired by Nicholas but since we were too full from all the other courses before, it never happened.

Rustic No Knead Bread
This bread was inspired by several friends: Jackie, Jenn and Lou, who demonstrated the simplicity and reward of a homebaked loaf of bread. Throughout the year, my friends have been making and serving bread to me. No ending to a year could be without an amazing homebaked loaf of bread, especially when it's so simple to accomplish. I served the bread with a whipped garlic parsley butter which is inspired by many sensational meals at El Sitio Do Rio, one of our favorite restuarants in the Algarve.

Dessert -- The Grand Finale
Molten Chocolate Cakes (Jean George) and Creme Brule
Both desserts were made the day before with my friend Debbie. Although we don't spend New Year's together, we try to make our desserts together ahead of time. I made the leftovers for my three kids New Year's Day. They said it would make any other dessert they would ever taste fail in comparison.

So, throughout 2010, I will always have the next New Year's Eve dinner in the back of my head. The menu will vary and so will the significance of each course.

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment